In terms of market share, Bing and Yahoo combined own about one-third of the search engine space while Google owns the rest. Bing and Yahoo have to work hard to compete with Google’s search engine capabilities, and their search results may differ somewhat from Google’s, but the user is the one who must ultimately decide which provides the best value and quality for their needs.
When it comes to search engine optimization (SEO), online and digital marketers have long understood the imperative to properly optimize their websites and ads to obtain the best possible search engine results, as these translate to higher rankings and optimum visibility. What these same marketers may not know is that not all search engines are created equal. That is, what works for SEO in Google may not work or be sufficient to optimize in Yahoo and Bing. Although, given the alliance between Yahoo and Bing, one SEO strategy will work for those two search engines combined. Armed with this knowledge, to maximize results in both environments, online marketing should include one SEO strategy for Google and another for Yahoo/Bing.
Understanding Search Engine Optimization in Bing and Yahoo
- The use of relevant, appropriate keywords and phrases is critical to obtaining good SEO results. A Google user may be fine entering a synonymous or more descriptive search term, while a Bing/Yahoo user will need to enter an exact keyword for best results.
- The age of your domain factors into how much importance Bing/Yahoo put on search ranking results.
- Bing favors web pages with authority—those with .gov or .edu extensions.
- Does a key word or search term have multiple meanings? If it does, Bing/Yahoo will return local search results first.
- Bing/Yahoo work well with the Adobe-owned technology behind “Flash” websites (those that include a photo slideshow, animation, or music). These search engines understand Flash technology, whereas Google does not, and therefore does not rank them high.
Once you understand the differences between Bing/Yahoo and Google, you can apply the right SEO strategies for best results.
Optimizing Your Website for Bing and Yahoo
- Submit your website to Bing’s webmaster so it can be indexed for crawling.
- Understand the technical requirements and apply them appropriately, such as your page load speed, content redirects, and use of robots
- Use a title tag for every page, and make sure it contains exact keywords
- For help selecting the best keyword, use available tools designed just for that purpose
- Web content should be clear, concise, and quality, all of which contribute to Bing/Yahoo’s indexing and improved search rankings
- List and optimize your site to appear under local search results
Search engine optimization is critical if your business is to be found in today’s online and mobile search environments. When you apply the right strategy for each search engine, you will enhance your online presence and improve your chances of obtaining the best possible search results.